Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Discharged fabric and How many holes does it take to make 2 holes for a sign?

Yesterday I tried to do some discharge and wasn't happy at what was happening but after rinsing, anti chlor and then wash and drying the 2 fat quarters I did I was pleasantly surprised at how they turned out.

This first picture I had used Cascade Dishwasher detergent and used a bryer to spread the paste on. I let it sit for an hour and didn't think I got much of a reaction so I tossed into a bucket of water and rinsed it off and then tossed it into antichlor and just let it sit until this morning. While I let it set I started another piece. This second piece I put the detergent on with a foam brush thinking maybe it needed to be thicker I then let it sit for 2 hours and after a little while I wonder if it would do better if the fabric was wet so I took a spray bottle and spritzed some water on it a couple times during the 2 hours. I still didn't think I had very good results and thought I would just give up and make some thioux and print paste. Today I washed out the two pieces and hung to dry. I was surprised to see how much it did discharge and now I wonder how much more color will come out when I take some thioux and discharge with it. This will be another project I will try in CO on retreat next month.

Nothing else got done in the studio, my small quilt is on my design wall and I hope to get back to it soon.
Marc decided we should get our holes ready for my sign when it goes up. I'm going to be gone most of the day tomorrow so we decided to put the sign up on Friday.

This first picture is Marc getting ready to do the holes.
First hole done without any problems that's a good sign or not.
In this picture you can see where we decided to put the next hole, we tried 3 times to get a hole. We decided to move over to the other side of the first hole.
Not much better of a start there are 3 holes and then the 7th hole. We then measured and found the hole was over a little to much so we made the hole wider.
Finally we got both holes done. There was just to much rock in the area's we trying.
And now Marc uses the post hole digger to get the excess dirt out of the holes. Originally when I had my sign made we were going to put it on the reverse side of an existing sign but it was to close to the fence and to high for us to reach so we took it down and are getting ready to put up new posts.


  1. What a great idea. I purchased that stencil over the internet recently but haven't had any inspirations for it. I just knew I loved the design. I love all the new snow dyes you just finished. Wishing you well! Chris

  2. Okay that answers my question of how you got the flowers with the discharge (duh). They turned out really nice Judy, love them both.

    Digging the holes must have been frustrating, hope it turned out well in the end.